Businesses in British Columbia’s agrifoods sector serve the global marketplace. With our diverse and growing selection of agrifood products including Canadian wine and seafood, our international reputation for high food safety standards, and our favourable location for international shipping, our agrifoods sector is well positioned for growth and investment in both existing and new markets.
|B.C. food and beverage
|Revenue in 2014
|Exports in 2014
Innovative growers and producers are breaking new ground, focusing on high-quality, value-added products and exploring niche markets at home and abroad.
Rich production potential – Our fertile growing conditions and diverse geography and climate support a variety of commodities, from marine and range products to soft fruits and flowers.
High food standards – We are recognized globally for our high-quality food products and safety standards.
Innovation – Our agrifoods sector is flexible and resilient. We utilize modern infrastructure and the latest research and technologies developed in collaboration across industry, government, and academia.
Global markets – Markets for British Columbia food products are growing rapidly in China, South Korea and Taiwan.
Transportation advantages – Shipping costs to Asian markets are lower and travel times are shorter than from competing suppliers due to our location on Canada’s west coast. We offer proximity to key markets and duty-free access to the United States and Mexico, seamlessly connected to North American economic centres by secure, reliable transportation networks.
Skilled workforce – A skilled and experienced local workforce is supported by job training, recruitment, and temporary foreign worker programs.
Positive business climate – Business advantages include tax credits, funding programs, and our low costs of doing business.
Watch this short video on British Columbia’s Agrifoods advantages.
Our geography and climate allow us to cultivate a wide array of agrifoods products.
Steady growth – In 2014, total farm cash receipts generated by British Columbia’s agriculture sector rose 4.6 per cent to $2.9 billion.
Varied agricultural production – We produce a wide variety of farm products, including dairy, cattle, poultry, tree fruits, vegetables, berries, grapes, mushrooms, bulbs, ornamental flowers, and shrubs.
Value from the sea – We exported $981 million worth of seafood products to 74 different markets in 2014.
Commercial fisheries and aquaculture – We are known worldwide for our wild and farmed salmon. We also are proud producers of groundfish, shellfish, herring, and marine plants.
Alcoholic beverages – British Columbia has long been recognized for award-winning wines. We are also attracting international interest in our craft-brewed ciders, beers, and spirits.
Diverse food processing industry – Our wide range of agricultural and seafood products supports a varied food processing industry. While fish, dairy, poultry, meat, and beverages dominate production, value-added specialty food products are increasing. Consumer interest in safe, high-quality and sustainably produced food drives growth and innovation in this industry.
Global access – Our highly integrated transportation system makes it easy to access high-quality agriculture products and to ship fresh, value-added products worldwide.
British Columbia offers general incentives to businesses investing here. Learn more about our business incentives.
Support Programs for the Agrifoods Industry
In addition to general business programs, British Columbia offers specific programs for the agrifoods sector. See the Growing Forward 2 program for information on supports for your agribusiness investment in British Columbia. It includes:
- Agrifood BC Platform - provide information and marketing tools for the agrifood chain. Learn about the AgriFood BC platform.
- BC Food Value Chain Development - helps parties in a food supply chain work together to retain higher value. Funding assists in developing a value chain development plan. Find out about BC Food Value Chain Development.
- Farm business Advisory Services & Small Scale Food Processors - helps farm producers assess and improve their finances, with funding to hire business consultant services. Visit the Farm Business Advisory Services & Small Scale Food Processors site.
- BC Food Safety Systems & Traceability - helps ensure food safety and quality, with financial incentives to implement food safety management and tracing systems. Learn about the BC Food Safety Systems & Traceability program.
- Environmental Farm Planning - helps improve farm profitability by improving environmental practices, including financial incentives for implementation. See how Environmental Farm Planning can support your agribusiness investment.
The Growing Forward initiative offers three new programs:
- AgriInnovation - supports research and development in innovative products and practices.
- AgriCompetitiveness - will make investments to help adapt to market changes
- AgriMarketing - will make investments that help promote Canadian products in international markets
Investments & Partnerships
Flurer Smokery Ltd (established seafood processor and smokery) seeking an investor/partnership.
5722 Menzies Way, Campbell River, BC, V9H 1N6
Established seafood processor and smokery with Canadian Federal registration and HACCP certification seeks an equal partnership to assist in marketing, sales and distribution to expand existing international sales....
Investments & Partnerships
Investment Opportunity in Hydroponic Greenhouse Operation
Coldstream, BC, Canada, BC
Salad Greenhouse is in the the sustainable business of growing health produce. �With our 100% hydroponics greenhouses we add 27 essential nutrients to our recycled water to grow pure nutritional food.We have designed a proprietary biomass generator that produces heat and electricity from renewable f...
Investments & Partnerships
Granola / cereal / natural
156-628 East Kent Ave South, Vancouver, BC, V5X 0B2
Granola Girl was incorporated in 2011 by a true Vancouverite experienced in the baking industry for over 25 years. Granola Girl is a locally-made vegan and organic granola cereal. It is all-natural, contains no raisins, and delicious to the very core! Not overly sweet like other commercial cereals, ...