Get a high-tech head start with Canadian Technology Accelerators in the United States
British Columbia’s reputation for innovation and its strategic location fosters strong relationships with the technology centres in California’s Silicon Valley and Cambridge, Massachusetts, home of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). British Columbia’s Global Business Accelerator program, in partnership with the Trade Commissioner Service of Canada, assists companies starting up in the fields of high-tech, digital media, clean tech and life sciences. Start-ups have select access to these five Canadian Technology Accelerators:
- Plug and Play (CTA@PnP), Sunnyvale, California: Designed for information and communication technology companies, including those work in the areas of e-health, networking, and mobile solutions. Plug and Play is located in the heart of the Silicon Valley, connecting startups with a global network of 300 companies. Terms are for up to three months.
- RocketSpace (CTA@SF), San Francisco, California: Digital media companies, including social media and game developers can spend up to three months in the SOMA digital media district. An experienced team of tech executives lead this accelerator, recognized as one of the “50 Most Engaged” enterprises in the U.S.
- Environmental Business Cluster (CTA@EBC), San Jose, California: Clean tech companies – including those in the renewable energy and environmental technology sectors – spend up to four months at a centre that has assisted more than 150 companies since 1994.
- Life Science Accelerator (CTA@MissionBay), San Francisco, California: University of California’s San Francisco campus hosts this accelerator, which is part of the QB3 technology institute. It has helped launch 65 companies since 2000. Startups in the life sciences can spend up to six months here.
- The Hub (CTA@Boston), Cambridge, Massachusetts: The Cambridge Innovation Center serves 500 companies in a 160,000-square-foot building adjacent to the MIT campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Startups enjoy a broad range of technology and business support to help them pursue new ventures.
Get inspired by your Environment
Work closely with other technology startups in collaborative eco-systems that support the development of innovative companies.
- Participate in Accelerator programs specifically designed to help technology startups learn, grow and thrive.
- Share office space and gain inspiration from like-minded entrepreneurs from all over the globe.
- Benefit from office environments that are customized to include all the amenities, software, support services, tools and resources that technology startups need to succeed.
Build alliances in the vibrant tech community
Make the most of your time in the U.S. by connecting with key influencers in the technology industry:
- Take advantage of networking events, business matchmaking programs and mentorship opportunities.
- Gain access to venture capitalists and corporate investors that can help you fund your growth.
- Interact with Business Accelerator alumni and members of the C100, a select group of influential Canadians active in the Silicon Valley.
- Leverage personal introductions to prominent contacts from our Trade and Investment Representatives and the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service.
- Companies at the Boston accelerator work in a region that has one of the highest concentrations of life sciences and technology companies in the world, with proximity to the dynamic environment at MIT and leading venture capital firms.
Take your tech company to a new level
The ideal candidates for the Canadian Technology Accelerator program are product-ready businesses seeking a base for global growth. Companies that can demonstrate their potential for high growth are eligible to apply.