Information and Communication Technologies and Wireless
British Columbia, Canada, is home to a progressive and dynamic ICT industry consisting of 2,650 companies and 20,500+ jobs focused on software-as-a-service (SaaS) and enterprise level solutions, Internet of Things (IoT) and mobile technologies, cloud computing, big data and machine learning, e-commerce, and quickly growing fintech and security clusters.
B.C. offers a highly developed research infrastructure, an established network of experienced communication and software professionals, angel investors and close ties to both the United States and Asia. These advantages provide strong investment opportunities to open North American branch offices and partner with start-up businesses here.
In 2017, the global venture capital community injected $646 million across 91 deals in British Columbia, strengthening B.C.’s position as the newest and most exciting tech hub in North America.
B.C.’s large, flexible, and educated workforce of 100,000+across the broader tech ecosystem is well-represented by young, diverse, and energetic talent.
British Columbia’s 25 post-secondary institutions work collaboratively with the region’s growing and vibrant tech sector. For example, the University of British Columbia (UBC) holds 50 Canada Research Chairs and has produced more than 170 spin-off companies in recent years.
Investors and companies from around the world are discovering the benefits of developing their information and communication technologies (ICT) and wireless projects in British Columbia.
- An ICT and wireless hub. Thousands of British Columbia companies are involved in design, manufacturing, and engineering of wired and wireless communications.
- Exceptional talent. British Columbia is home to world-class research facilities and top-ranked universities that foster a network of seasoned communications and software professionals.
- Global players. In British Columbia you’re in great company with major global players like Microsoft, Vision Critical, BuildDirect, Intel, ACL, Sierra Wireless, Hootsuite and Tableau.
- A prime location. As Canada’s Pacific Gateway, British Columbia is ideally located with a business day that conveniently overlaps with afternoon working hours in Europe, and morning work schedules in Asia and is synchronized for the full day with California and Washington State.
- Competitive tax regime. British Columbia is one of North America’s most competitive tax environments, with one of the lowest corporate tax rates in the G7, no corporate capital tax, and the lowest personal income tax in Canada for individuals earning up to $125,000. B.C.’s general corporate income tax rate is only 12%. When combined with the federal rate, businesses pay a combined rate of 27%.
BC Tech Fund - A $100 million BC Tech Fund that invests in local high growth companies.
Scientific Research & Experimental Development — Canada’s largest program supporting R&D, SR&ED may provide qualifying Canadian-controlled private corporations with a federal tax credit of up to 35% of qualified expenses for Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) carried out in Canada. Other Canadian corporations may be able to receive a 15% federal tax credit.
MITACS— Funds applied research and training programs to address business and innovation challenges. 60+ university partners and 13,000+ projects to-date
Learn about British Columbia’s range of attractive business incentives.
ICT and Wireless Sector Supports
We have laid a foundation for business success that includes targeted initiatives to support technology companies. In addition to the financial incentives, ICT and wireless technology companies benefit from:
- Support for entrepreneurs, small technology businesses, and start-ups through:
- An increasing supply of talent in technology-related graduate programs, internships, and entrepreneurship programs.
Investments & Partnerships
Smart Home Device Manufacturing
12417 No 2 Rd, Richmond, BC
Poort Technologies Inc. is a Vancouver design and small manufacturing firm, with two producing moulds for tablet enclosures in the booming smart home industry. Poorts are now listed on Amazon.com (Nov/2017) and are novel, state of the art in design and function, and ideal partners for the exploding ...