British Columbia, Canada, is home to a creative cluster of world-class companies specializing in game development. British Columbia is an international centre for console, social and mobile game production, as well as an emerging hub for virtual reality (VR) technology. British Columbia offers highly skilled talent, a prime location, and a high quality of life.
INTERACTIVE GAMING SNAPSHOT
- British Columbia has one of the top video game clusters in the world, with more than 150 game companies employing nearly 6,000 professionals.
- British Columbia is home to one of the oldest video game clusters in North America, established in the early 1980s.
- British Columbia hosts a thriving game development industry full of large-scale game developers as well as indie game studios.
- British Columbia also plays a major role in the development of virtual reality technology, with Vancouver and Seattle at the centre of the Pacific Northwest hub of VR development.
- British Columbia’s VR firms, including Microsoft, Cloudhead Games and Archiact, are already looking beyond entertainment to create the future of computing, using VR and mixed reality to build practical tools to enhance education, health care and other sectors.
- British Columbia’s location on Canada’s west coast places it in the same time zone as studios in California, making it easier to develop efficient and convenient working relationships during business hours.
- British Columbia’s interactive gaming and digital media sectors enjoy strong relationships with other industries. This fuels a collaborative and open-minded approach to projects, resulting in innovative productions.
- British Columbia’s skilled workforce has experience in the entire range of interactive productions, from console games to the fast-paced development of mobile tools.
British Columbia's thriving game development sector
View this video to learn more about why interactive gaming companies choose to locate in British Columbia.
Strong Industry Support
British Columbia is committed to providing a supportive environment for the interactive digital design industry. Industry-led associations work hand-in-hand with government to provide a wide range of benefits, including marketing events, forums for investors and producers and award celebrations.
- DigiBC (The Digital Media and Wireless Association of BC) fosters community, networking and partnerships in the digital media industry by providing members with market intelligence, first notice of business opportunities and promotional support. DigiBC is a member-supported non-profit organization. Visit www.digibc.org
- Creative BC brings a strategic and integrated approach to the growth and development of the province's creative industries. Creative BC provides professional expertise and business support to strengthen the province’s motion picture, interactive digital, music and publishing sectors. Creative BC’s programs, services and investments act as a catalyst to help these sectors realize their economic and creative potential and to contribute to the future prosperity of our province. Established by the provincial government, the organization collaborates with many provincial ministries and initiatives, municipal resources and relevant industry associations and committees. Visit www.creativebc.com
- BC Tech Association delivers programs that help technology companies collaborate, learn and grow. BC Tech Association helps members attract top talent, connect with partners and investors, learn from experienced coaches and advocates to nurture the creative ecosystem. Visit www.wearebctech.com
- VR/AR Association is an international organization with a Vancouver-based chapter, designed to foster collaboration between innovative companies and people in the virtual reality and augmented reality ecosystem. Visit www.thevrara.com
- VIATEC (Victoria Innovation, Advanced Technology and Entrepreneurship Council) serves as the one-stop hub that connects people, knowledge and resources to grow and promote the Greater Victoria technology sector. Visit www.viatec.ca
- Innovate BC is a Crown s that encourages the development and application of advanced or innovative technologies to meet the needs of industry in B.C., accelerating technology commercialization by supporting startups and developing entrepreneurs. Visit https://innovatebc.ca/
- Accelerate Okanagan delivers unique programming for all stages of growth; from start-up basics to market expansion accelerator programs. Visit www.accelerateokanagan.com